Each year the Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and over 180 other countries. The awarding body, the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS), selects recipients. All disciplines taught in the mentioned Universities are accepted, except artistic disciplines.
The Scholarship Program enables selected applicants to pursue:
• Research Scholarships
• PhD Scholarships
• Postdoctoral Scholarships
The program includes the following universities and educational institutions:
• University of Basel, University of Bern, University of Fribourg, University of Geneva, University of Lausanne, University of Lucerne, University of Neuchâtel, University of St. Gallen, University of Zurich, Università della Svizzera italiana
• Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL), Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETHZ), Research Institutes of the ETH Domain (PSI; WSL; EMPA; EAWAG)
• Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID)
• University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland, Bern University of Applied Sciences, University of Applied Sciences Northwest Switzerland, University of applied Sciences Eastern Switzerland, Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts, University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland, The Zürcher Fachhochschule
• Universities of teacher education
To apply please click here, complete the pre-application form, after which the embassy will contact you and provide the information and full application package of the relevant program.
Please note that the pre-application form includes the question about the duration of the program, so it is necessary to select the educational institution beforehand and exactly know the duration of the program.
Furthermore, the complete application package includes a letter from an academic host professor at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he is willing to supervise and support the study and/or research.
Research Scholarships & PhD Scholarships:
• Date of birth after 31 December 1985
• Master degree or equivalent achieved before 31 July 2021 (degree certificate)
• PhD degree achieved after 31 December 2017 and before 31 July 2021 (PhD degree certificate)
• Not more than 3 years after the award of the PhD. No funding for sabbaticals.
This scholarship primarily offers an opportunity to scholars who have not already been to Switzerland. Scholarship applicants may not be resident in Switzerland since more than one year when they start their grant next September. Otherwise, they are not eligible applicants.
The scholarship is valid only for full time studies or research in Switzerland. It is not compatible with fieldtrips outside Switzerland. Therefore no possibility and no funding for fieldwork.
General information about studying in Switzerland
Introduction to the Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships
How to find a supervising professor
Pre-application forms – 30.09.2020
Complete paper applications – 13.11.2020
Embassy of Switzerland in Armenia
Melik-Adamyan Street 2/1, 0010 Yerevan
Tel: +374 10 52 98 60